Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusemail

Thursday, 26 September 2013

Dublin Half Marathon

So it’s been a while l since I last posted on here. I have been busy training and then getting over the half marathon.  So you saw my last post expressing my disbelief at getting the unluckiest race number on one of the unluckiest days of the year, well I certainly got my 3 lots of bad luck on race day.  It started early in the morning I stepped onto my bed to open the curtains and as I stepped off the bed I stood on a shoe and went flying and twisted my ankle, thankfully after about half an hour it felt okay.  Then after I got dropped off at the phoenix park I realised I had left my phone holder thing at home, I was trying to call the OH to see if I left in the car, but as always at these events there was no phone signal, so this meant I had to hold the bloody thing for the whole race. Then after all the faffing about I was too late to meet with a group of runners that I had agreed to meet.

Thankfully that is where my bad luck ended. I felt absolutely fine for the whole race; I kept my pace at around 5.30 mins per km whereas my normal pace would be just under 5 mins.  It was only as I was getting to the last couple of miles my legs were beginning to get sore.  It was a very warm morning compared to the weather we had been having recently, which was typical, but I was glad I had thoroughly hydrated myself all morning.  There had been warnings that temperatures would get up into the 20’s There were quite a few people who got into trouble I seen one guy being given air at about 8 miles and quite a few people had to stop and walk.  I have to say thought I think it was rather cruel of the organisers to leave the hilly part of the run to near the end I think it was between 10 and 12 miles. I think it would have been better at half way or near the beginning of the race.

For some reason I had it in my head that a half marathon was 20km, when the Endomondo lady in my ear informed me I had done 20km, there was no sign of the finishing line, it was a little soul destroying.  It was actually 21.1km!  When the finish line came into sight I managed to find a surge of energy from somewhere and sprint the last 500m. I finished in 1hr 57:34. I was delighted!

As soon as I got through the finish line and stopped running the whole bottom part of me got very sore I just had to sit down for about half an hour. I did a few stretches but probably not as many as I should have.  I then had to walk about 2 miles to get back to the car carrying my 2 year old who refused to go into her pushchair or walk for that matter.

When I got home I was absolutely shattered, legs and knees were killing me and that was me for a good few days afterwards. Laid up with very sore legs and all I wanted to do was sleep. I was actually shocked at just how much it had taken out of me as I had been doing 18km runs the last couple of weeks and had been feeling fine afterwards.

I was extremely sad to hear that some poor young man had collapsed on the run and subsequently died. It’s always sad when you hear that kind of news but it really hits you when you hear it was a fellow runner and they were at the same event and doing the same thing that you were doing only a few hours ago.  My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends, it really took the shine off the event and I will probably think of that young man whenever I take part in similar races.             

It is now Thursday and the legs are still a bit sore but I am feeling a lot better in myself, I have got my energy back. I honestly don’t know how people do the full marathon. I am hoping to do it next year for my 35th birthday, I will have to look into getting some proper nutrition advice and training for that one I think.    

No comments:

Post a Comment